Dentists have spent years studying and training to provide professional dental care. Aside from detecting signs of dental problems and preventing them through dental procedures and prescribing medication, they can also suggest lifestyle changes that can help improve your dental health.
Many dentists specialize as well in different branches of dentistry. Here’s a quick look at some of the specialists you may encounter in your journey to good dental health:
- Endodontist – Specializes in diagnosing and treating diseases and injuries to the pulp (the soft tissue inside the teeth). If you’re looking for a root canal, this is the right kind of dentist for the job.
- Oral and Maxillofacial Radiologist – Diagnoses diseases in the head and neck using X-rays, CT scans, MRI, and other imaging technologies.
- Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon – Specializes in more intensive procedures such as surgeries and reconstruction of the mouth, jaw and face.
- Oral Pathologist – Diagnoses problems like the oral and maxillofacial radiologist, but relies more on clinical, radiographic, microscopic, and biochemical examinations to identify mouth diseases.
- Orthodontist – Focuses on correcting or minimizing the effects of irregular dental development or missing teeth. Commonly known for installing braces and retainers to correct teeth alignment, but can also carry out plenty of other orthodontic procedures.
- Pediatric Dentist – Specializes in providing professional dental care to children, adolescents and young adults.
- Prosthodontist – Provides prosthetic solutions such as false teeth and dental crowns to replace missing teeth or other oral structures, restoring function and appearance.
It may take a bit of work getting used to caring for your oral health the proper way but you’ll do just fine as long as you’re working with the right dentist. Whatever needs you might have, know that there’s a dental professional you can turn to. To get you started on achieving your best level of oral health, don’t hesitate to get in touch with a reputable dental professional in your area.